Re: Europa-List: Antenna tuning

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Antenna tuning
From: jimpuglise@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:59:15

David-

I assume you are talking about the copper strip antenna that comes with the
 kit.=C2- My own approach is to start at the bottom of the band and recor
d the SWR every 50 khz.=C2- After you have done this, put the figures in
Excel and graph it.=C2- Each line in your Excel spreadsheet shoud have on
e frequency in column A and the SWR at that frequency in column B.=C2- In
 this way, you can see what the antenna is doing through the entire band.
=C2- You need to be concerned that the SWR is not extremely high at one e
nd and extremely low at the other.=C2- I usually shoot for 1.0-1.2 / 1 at
 the center and 1.9 or so at each band edge.=C2- If you are at 1.5 in the
 middle of the band, that should be just fine.=C2- The reason you are not
 seeing change with small adjustments is that it is probably relatively fla
t a few MHZ each side of resonance.=C2- Also, I don't know if you are usi
ng the coax that comes with the kit, but I took one look at it and threw it
 away.=C2- Invest in some good RG-58 for the comm antenna and some RG-400
 for the transponder.=C2- When you look at the graph, it will be very obv
ious what you need to do.

Jim Puglise A-283