Re: Europa-List: Re: Nylon Fuel Piping - how popular has it become?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Nylon Fuel Piping - how popular has it become?
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:32:32
quote from http://www.sacskyranch.com/statichose.htm :
> Static charge generation occurs as liquids flow through hoses and is
> dependent upon the potential of the hose surface to accept or donate
> electrons, the speed at which the liquid is moving and the
> conductivity of the hose liner. Electrostatic discharge in the form
> of an electric spark occurs from the hose inner tube to the steel
> braid thereby creating a pin hole leak.

That would seem to indicate that the potential for triboelectric
pinholes is a consequence of the steel braid surface of the hose.

I have used automotive R9 EFI hose (w/ the blue teflon liner)...(at
$6/7 dollars/foot, it's not exactly "cheap")...I have planned on using
steel braid on only those hoses which are forward of the firewall...if
I carry out that plan, it sounds like all will be well if I use the
Mil Spec. MIL-H-25579E hose forward of the firewall or where ever
steel braid is used.

I would be grateful for any comments anyone?

Fred
A194