RE: Europa-List: Electric Trim Problems

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Electric Trim Problems
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:04:34

Hi! John.
Yes I can tell you all about it and most who fly with me can also!
I had this problem initially a number of years ago and the Ray Allen people
assured me it must be a wiring failure, the hassle proving all the circuitry
needs to be done to be believed. Still the failure was intermittently
present. Next I had to remove the servo (fortunately I had built in a
facility which locked the servo locating bolt heads enabling the nuts to be
removed from the rear...in anticipation of needing it out!) I returned it to
Ray Allen Company where they failed to reproduce the symptoms. In my case
the failure was identical to yours and I found much to my horror that if I
let go of the control stick and trimmed fully nose up (scary because you
wouldn't land it like that and the forces on the stabilators and rear
controls are phenomenal)it then will be possible to reverse the trim motor.
They returned the servo after checking and for good measure included a
replacement MK1 relay for 50% of the normal price.
I refitted the servo and also replaced the relay. The problem had been
cured.
Some considerable time ensued before the identical problem returned.
I have reported this to the Ray Allen and they said they had now identified
that the MK1 Relay actually fails but in one direction only so when the
system is reversed it hides the fault.
They have now (again at 50% cost) have sent a MK2 relay saying that they
have at last identified the original fault. The MK2 is slightly different in
shape and size and sitting on my desk awaiting fitting.
Pleased to be of service to you with this news...(as usual I am out in front
where trouble is concerned !)
However I now am most concerned that you aren't preceding me with the MK2
which is failed? If you would advise me that I'd be obliged.
My system has a panel  trim switch and a control stick top trim switch too.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Rotax 914.