Europa-List: Thank You: Diesel Europa tri-gear MG?

Subject: Europa-List: Thank You: Diesel Europa tri-gear MG?
From: Dwight Van Zanen <dbvz@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 21:57:12

Thanks for the comments.  I was not aware a BRS was a serious problem for t
he Europa.  Nothing I have flown has had it=2C but I thought it would be a
nice add in an EXP.  Scratch that.

For the range=2C I was looking for the maximum fuel load with me in the pla
ne and nothing else.  In other words=2C useful load less 175 pounds all as
fuel with the tankage for it.  Not sure where to put it=2C so if anyone has
 done it that would be useful information.  One thought was that the J.L. O
sborne Inc. tip tanks (for like a Comanche) actually "lift themselves" sinc
e the tanks and fuel weigh about the same as the additional gross weight pe
rmitted when you add the tip tanks on a Comanche.  The tip tanks improve th
e wing performance and puts some weight on the "other end" of the wing wher
e it actually helps with the stress forces at the wing roots.  But I suspec
t putting some weight out at the end of the MG wing may not be possible bec
ause of structural issues.

The turbo-diesel is obviously for altitude and fuel economy=2C but also for
 speed.  For economy cruise it would be running at slightly less than 50% p
ower.  Speed or range=2C you can only get one.  You can throttle back for m
ore economy=2C but for more speed you have to have enough power to pull it
along.  The Europa performance sheet said 150kts at 10K with the Rotax 914
=2C and I expected a 120HP turbo-diesel to do as well for max speed=2C and
better than the 914 for max range.

I had looked at the WAM 120 because it has a peak power of 120HP=2C which i
s why I asked if it is possible to increase useful load with more power.  M
any aircraft do.  My Cherokee 180 has a higher max gross than the same airf
rame with less power.  Does the Rotax 914 allow a higher max gross than the
 912?  If tip tanks are not possible=2C perhaps the long wings with the WAM
 120 would rate an adjustment to the maximum gross?  I am not sure how much
 freedom the builder has to make these adjustments.  Piper does it=2C but t
hey have an engineering staff to justify it.  The STC for the Osborne tips
provdes for a gross weight increase=2C but they went through some steps to
prove the design.

At this point I am mostly looking for comments on the feasability of this u
sing the Europa MG as the platform.  So far it seems to be the best option
=2C and where it can not be stretched to fit all the ideas (like the BRS) I
 would scale back as necessary.  I am just looking for the extent that the
optimum dream machine would need to be scaled back=2C using the Europa=3B b
efore making any decisions about getting started.  Thanks again for the com
ments.

Dwight B. Van Zanen

22426 262 Ave. SE

Maple Valley=2C WA 98038