Re: Europa-List: Re: Oil Pressure Switch for engine hourmeter

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Oil Pressure Switch for engine hourmeter
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 20:46:58

On 01/19/2010 08:31 PM, Raimo Toivio wrote:

> If I had liked to count only pure flight hours I would have connected
> it to the main gears retracted position micro switch. In the other
> hand; at least GPS and autopilot (Trio) are logging pure flight hours
> so that was not an option for me.

I have my "flight-hobbs" connected to a pressure switch, hooked up to
the secondary pitot tube (which also feeds the SmartASS talking airspeed
indicator). The pressure switch is set in such a way that it closes a
switch when the speed reaches 42 knots.
I guess this is close enough to really register flight hours (with in
mind the option to use the Europa as a motor-glider, so flight hours
might differ substantially from engine hours).

> To service my engine I use flight hours (with high revs) - not engine
> hours. That is a fair play!

For the mandatory registration, you are allowed to use flight hours. For
all engine run-ups in your backyard, you don't need to register
anything. Although I unofficially keep an eye on the actal engine hours,
and just perform some maintenance accordingly, earlier than officially
required with regard to the flight hours.

Frans