RE: Europa-List: One of the least draggy tailwheel and spring arrangemen

Subject: RE: Europa-List: One of the least draggy tailwheel and spring arrangements
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 14:57:27
Hi! Ron.
Happy New Year.
Yes I have been saved more rudder repairs than I could "shake a stick at "!
However mostly, but not entirely, on bouncy grass strips on take off as well
as landing as indeed Ivor Phillips the photographer will verify ! Many times
I have found grass on it when landing and it makes an unmistakable grinding
noise when on tarmac or concrete, the threaded end has by now a permanent
chamfer !  I suppose it could be used for ploughing in a cable or even mole
draining  field too !!!!
I've often joked to enquirers that it is I my "arrester hook" for carrier
landings !
However originally the aircraft was built as a mono wheel /trike convertible
and I needed quite a large tail balance weight for weight and balance
purposes but it is now mostly used as an attachment point for the electric
winch to pull the a/c into the trailer. Which I use at both ends of a flight
since unless abroad I rig and dismantle for every flight.  I don't see the
reason to remove it every time.
Yes it was an unconventional airframe since it was the first Jabiru 3300
six cylinder  power unit but I'll not go there any more .it now has a 914
c/w intercooler.
Regards
Bob Harrison. G-PTAG Kit 337.

  _____