Europa-List: Flap drive tube hinge location hard points ...fuelage floor

Subject: Europa-List: Flap drive tube hinge location hard points ...fuelage floor.
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 22:23:08

Hi! Brian/William and all.
It may be that two questions are getting merged here.?
A) Williams original question seemed to me to be about the hard point
locations in the fuselage floor to which the flap drive cross tube and hinge
brackets are bolted. There were some kits (including mine No 337) which
needed hard points repositioned to ensure adequate metal clear round the
bolt holes but these were the tie cross tube and aft wing drag pin locators.

B) The Service Bulletin was about an issue of possibility of the flap drive
pin becoming disengaged from the flap drive cross tube. This bulletin called
for some serious measurements to be taken to ensure that (I think) a minimum
of 11mm of parallel diameter was still engaged in to the drive tube with the
flap deployed down.
Clearly the flap drive hinges need to be located correctly to satisfy the SB
mentioned above but they also need to engage with the hard points with
adequate hard points round the through bolts.

On G-PTAG when I rig the starboard wing unless the flap drive pin is
positioned dead in line when pushing the wing "home" to the fuselage it
refuses to enter and so forces the flap outboard to seriously foul up with
the aileron thus simulating the effect of what happened in flight in
Holland. ( In my case I hadn't noticed until I did full and free checks with
the control stick when the aileron refused to budge)
Needless to say this is now an item of particular inspection during rigging
and walk round preflight checks.
I'm sorry William I don't feel qualified to specifically answer your
original question.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTG