RE: Europa-List: Ethanol 10%

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Ethanol 10%
From: craig bastin <craigb@onthenet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:03:19
Cant comment on the ethanol attacking the tank, but ethanol will absorb a
virtually unlimited amount of water from the air over time.
once it reaches 1% saturation with water it will fall out of suspension with
the petrol forming 2 distinct layers, petrol on the top
as normal with water in the tank, which is why in most countries mogas WITH
ethanol is prohibited in aircraft. If you want to try it
and see for yourself put mogas with ethanol in a jar and add a couple of
drops of water and shake it up, leave it stand and it should
form two layers. Not many engines like running on 100% ethanol which is what
will happen if the two fuels separate in the tank.