Europa-List: outrigger problem

Subject: Europa-List: outrigger problem
From: Glenn Rainey <nimbusaviation@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 04:37:15

I apologise for not trawling the archive before posting this one, but I'll get
to that in a moment - honest! Our question from the syndicate here concerns
outrigger
latching. Yesterday 8/9/09 landing at base in almost zero wind, after
a nice local sortie, the downwind wing dropped very shortly after normal 2-point
contact, and then the rollout departure sequence began, very deftly reigned
in by the handling pilot (not me!). We speculate that the outrigger was either
not in a fully latched (locked) condition at touchdown - ie. on gear lowering,
or might have become unlatched immediately after touchdown. Arrival was not
heavy however.

Two observations - firstly that this right outrigger _can_ be unlatched with
some
manipulation of the flap itself when parked - not so the left one. Presumably,
therefore, drag loading of the flap could have compromised the outrigger;
secondly - this right wing drop has happened before. We normally deploy gear /
flap firmly in order to ensure an outrigger latched condition. In yesterdays
event, the continued rollout was per normal, and the aircraft was stable when
taxiing and when parked - and the outriggers normally deployed. Some abrasion
to the bolt-head attaching the outrigger wheel fitting has occurred and this at
least will be replaced.

Q. how to determine the condition of the outrigger mechanism - strip-down
Q. wear or other functional issues to anticipate when we do that
Q. prevention of further mishaps

Any pointers much appreciated.

Glenn Rainey
G-OJHL syndicate