Re: Europa-List: Oil thermostat - function

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil thermostat - function
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 01:57:21

I am not flying with my 914 yet, but have a Mocal oil thermostat that appears to
work similar to the one sold by Rotax.

The waymine works is the oil cooler is always plumbed in the cooling loop. There
is a bypass valve in the thermostat where it is an easier path for oil to flow
through the bypass valve than through the oil cooler itself. Mocal said it
is very hard to predict just how much will flow through the oil cooler with
bypass
opened will flow, depends much on install and components used. Think remember
something like 5 or 10% may be what may flow always through oil cooler in
my install as his best guess.
Anyway if bypass failed closed, 100% of flow would be routed through oil cooler
with no oil flow restriction.
If bypass failed opened, there would be no oil flow restriction but you would
only
get 5 or 10% cooling.
I think the unit I have is 180F?? They have another unit that if it failed it
could
restrict oil flow. I am not sure if Rotax unit could cause oil flow restriction
if it failed.
I purchased mine from Mocal dealer in Florida.
BTW they exchanged my oil radiator that was unused for one with AN fittings
instead
of wierd ones on my Europa supplied Mocal oil cooler.

Ron Parigoris

Visit -  www.EuropaOwners.org