Re: Europa-List: resin used in cowls

Subject: Re: Europa-List: resin used in cowls
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:11:19

On Sep 27, 2009, at 1:16 AM, Duncan & Ami McFadyean wrote:

> Class 2 fire retardant polyester resin. Which has a Tg of about 80C,
> AFTER heat curing. It's very difficult to find a fire retardant
> epoxy resin (that can be used for lay-up), but the Dow Chemical
> vinyl-ester types can be obtained in fire retardant forms

Duncan...thank you...googling "fire retardant vinyl-ester resin" took
me immediately to:

Interplastic Corporation (interplastic.com), a specialty chemical
company with its headquarters in St. Paul, Minnesota.

CORVE8441M-AT is a promoted, fire retardant, vinyl ester resin. This
versatile resin contains antimony pentoxide to enhance fire
resistance. According to the ASTM E84 Tunnel Test, it has a Class 1
flame spread rating of less than 25 without further additives. This
product is corrosion resistant and is used in customer applications in
the corrosion, transportation, construction, and fire resistant
engineered products markets. Easily applied in spray-up, hand lay-up,
and filament winding operations.

This may be the ticket for me...but I'll check Dow Chemical too,

Fred