Europa-List: outrigger wheels

Subject: Europa-List: outrigger wheels
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 20:03:40
Guys...I've been looking into substitutes for the kit-provided
outrigger wheel, and thought I'd found the answer with a Colson
Performa wheel which comes w/ sealed ball bearings. After Kingsley
acquainted me w/ the distinction between "sealed ball bearings" and
"maintenance-free precision ball bearings" I found the following in
the McMaster catalogue (the text and graphics can't get thru the
matronics server).

This "Easy-Roll Rubber-Tread Wheel" (McMaster part # 2439T42) is
described as "Resilient rubber tread rebounds quickly, so you can roll
and turn easily on most surfaces. The maintenance-free precision ball
bearings require minimal effort to get these wheels rolling". It is
blue rubber on a nylon core, has a Durometer of 70A, and is rated at
250 pounds. It also has a ridiculous low price of $7.81. I've queried
McMaster, and they confirm that yes, it does come w/ double precision
bearings...I've yet to determine whether they are double-shielded, or
double-sealed. They require a 3/8" shaft, so a sleeve bushing would be
required in order to stay with the 5/16" bolts.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried them and can comment on their
performance. Or...has anyone found the ultimate outrigger wheel?

Fred
A194