Europa-List: Congrats to Jeff,Cooling feedback for Bud

Subject: Europa-List: Congrats to Jeff,Cooling feedback for Bud
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:31:01
Hi all,
I am resending this message to clarify the temperature units:

I have been following the cooling discussion with great interest as I
have done my own modifications to the cowling over the years with good
but not 100% satisfactory results.
As for most Rotax equipped Europas, the main issue is overheating on the

ground at high ambient temperatures. Worst case is when you land, stop
for 5 minutes, start the engine for another flight and have to hold for
a long time due to traffic before being cleared for take off, especially

if there is no wind or you cannot face into it.
An effective validation test for any cooling improvement should be:
ambient temperature 30-35 degrees Celsius (90 Fahrenheit, to be adjusted
depending on where
you fly), no wind. After a short flight, taxi to the parking area, and
run the engine at high idle (2000-2200 RPM). Note the CHT every minute.
I would consider this test to be 100% satisfactory if I get the CHT
STABILIZED not higher than 110 deg C (230 F). Up to now I have not
managed to pass this test successfully at ambient temperatures above
23 deg C (67 F).
Could those who have done their own cooling modifications try this test
and let us know the results?
Best regards

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL, Monowheel, 912S, 696 hours