Re: Europa-List: rear bearing play problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: rear bearing play problem
From: Jan de Jong <jandejong@casema.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:49:00

Rowland,
> Jan - the advice I received from the factory is that the Tufnol
> bearings should NOT be greased or oiled. My inspector confirmed that
> oil is a BAD THING here - it collects dust which then turns into
> grinding paste and destroys the bearing. I did put a thin film of
> non-silicone furniture wax on mine, but as it's not tacky it does not
> tend to collect stray particles in the same way as grease, and does
> not migrate easily like oil.
Does this apply to the front bearing too?

> I'm trying to visualise how you're getting your eye in position to see
> the gap between CS06 & CS07. Even if CS06 is not bolted in (so you can
> get your eye close to CS05), the flange of CS07 must prevent seeing
> daylight in the gap. But that's not important, obviously you have a
> gap from the evidence of play in the system.
Cockpit upside down, sighting rearwards along steel tube CS05, seeing
front section of aluminium flange CS07 and front face of tufnol part
CS06 I see light.between CS07 and CS06 shine through from space between
rear of CS06 and flanged part of CS07. Never mind.
> If you remove the CS07 from CS05 (and heat, perhaps a hot-air gun, is
> the way to make Redux give way) how will you be able to position the
> rivet holes in the new CS07? You want them to align exactly with the
> original holes in CS05 so the rivets will hold. I can't think of a
> really easy way to do that. Maybe CS05 could be clamped in position
> with vee-blocks on a drill-press table to align correctly with the
> drill bit, and then CS07 slipped on to be drilled. For subsequent
> holes, the first hole would need to have a rivet inserted to keep the
> alignment correct.
I intend to not replace CS07 if at all possible and reuse all rivet
holes after carefully drilling the rivets out. Heating either from
inside CS05 or outside CS07 or both.
Aluminium has very good thermal conductivity (7 or 8 times as much as
steel Wikepedia says) so heating outside may suffice.

If Europa supplied CS06 are too big then producing a fitting CS06 from
scratch will still be easier then replacing CS07. As you say the holes
in CS05 will be almost impossible to find.
There is also the possibility of oversize pop rivets if necessary to
preserve CS07?

Thanks,
Jan