RE: Europa-List: Re: Battery

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Battery
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:31:03

Hi! All
Not wishing to tempt providence but here's my experience with "red top"
batteries (which I believe to be in from the same origin as Odesseys)
I bought my first "red top" 13AH in 1999 (before I could fly and with
G-PTAG nearing completion.....you know 99% done and 25% actual to go !)
It was positioned behind the baggage bay and along with many other types
still failed to start the Jabiru 3300 more than three times between 20
minute flights. In frustration I moved it to the top of the P1 foot well
and in good measure fitted a twin in parallel for a belt and braces
approach.
Last season (2008) I had an unwarranted premonition so changed them both
in spite of the fact that neither had shown any signs of loss of power.
I now have the Rotax 914 but with the Heavy Duty Starter and it works
instantly with one "dab" of the button.
I still have the original batteries in a box without any charges applied

And they still show 12.59V and 12.69V !
IMHO  it is best to "bite the bullet" on cost issues since they repay
you times over !
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG