RE: Europa-List: Boiling Point

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Boiling Point
From: Rob Housman <rob@hyperionef.com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 09:04:01

At http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethylene-glycol-d_146.html the boiling
point of a 50% mixture of pure ethylene glycol and pure water is given as
107.2 deg C but this is at  atmospheric pressure at sea level.  Antifreeze
also contains other stuff (such as corrosion inhibitors) that will further
increase the boiling point, and at higher pressure the boiling point is
elevated further. I haven't got the required reference materials at hand,
nor do I recall the long ago learned equations used to make the adjustment
for pressure, so let's just say that 120 deg C looks close to the boiling
point.  A detailed discussion of antifreeze at elevated temperatures can be
found at http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem03/chem03987.htm

Also, how accurately is the temperature and pressure known?  While the
temperature probably correct to within a few tenths of a degree I suspect
that the pressure is likely to be less accurately known.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Irvine, CA
Europa XS Tri-Gear