Re: Europa-List: Windsheild Installation ?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Windsheild Installation ?
From: DuaneFamly@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 14:59:28
Jeff,

I just did my install, so here are a few things that I did..........First

dry fit your windshield because you will probably have to trim it to fit.

This  will also give you an idea as to where you will need clamps or weigh
ts
to keep  the edge in contact while the epoxy cures.
I used a black marker to trace the trim line all around the perimeter. I

called LP Aero, the windshield suppliers, and they suggested a cutoff whee
on a  Dremel tool was OK for cuts bigger then 3/8". Further trimming shoul
be done  with 80 grit paper in a belt sander. They frowned on orbital sand
ers
because of  the sideways stress induced. You will need about a 2 mm space

between all around  for windshield expansion. Once it fits well, finish it

with 150 grit paper on a  wooden block to remove the 80 grit marks. This
 will
prevent stress cracks later.  Also round over all the edges, top and botto
m,
for the same reason.
When ready to install, I used the blue painters tape around the outside

edge of the windshield and the fuselage for clean edges. I also remarked
 the
inside area and used the blue tape along those marks for a clean edge.
I then first alcohol cleaned the epoxy edges of the windshield and fuselag
 followed by 80 grit paper to roughen the inside of the windshield where

the  epoxy needs to adhere and the contact portion of the fuselage. Vacuum
,
alcohol clean again.
You will need an assistant to simply get the windshield in place so do a

dry run with the assistant using gloves. When you feel good about the
procedure,  you can mix the 420 epoxy. You don't need much. Once mixed and
 before
adding the  flox, I used a small brush to paint some epoxy onto the edges
 of
the windshield  and the fuselage. I then mixed in the flox until it did no
run, put it into a  disposable cake frosting bag and ran a bead all around

the fuselage edge. With  my assistant, we placed the windshield in place,

centered it, and applied clamps  and weight to insure full contact.
When I was sure all was well, I used my gloved finger to smooth the bead

inside and out. I then carefully removed the tape and was able to inspect
 for
 any air bubbles under the windshield. If you find any, just press then ou
and  add a weight until set. I always covered my weight bags in clear
plastic kitchen  wrap to prevent any epoxy from sticking to them.
Good luck....mine went easier than I expected and came out nice.

Mike Duane  A207A
Redding, California
XS Conventional Gear
Jabiru  3300A
Sensenich R64Z N
Ground Adjustable  Prop

**************Discover the variety of Bisquick=AE mix. Get Recipes & Savin
gs
Now.
=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215225813%3B37274670%3Be%3Fhttp:%
2F%2
Frecipes.bisquick.bettycrocker.com%3FESRC%3D971)