Europa-List: Mode S and others...

Subject: Europa-List: Mode S and others...
From: David Corbett <david.corbett5@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 10:11:22
Mike Parkin is right; an approach controller at Liverpool (who also controls
Doncaster approach from the same desk, and who is co-owner of an RV9A here
at Shobdon) told us in March this year, when he was briefing us on the new
ATSOCAS procedures, that only London, Manchester and Scottish Area controls
can interpret Mode S.

In the meanwhile (and thanks to all our friends in Holland who provided
information and encouragement) the 17 aircraft of the Flying Farmers
Association went into Netherlands airspace on 9 May, all to be told to put
their transponders (whether A, C, or S) on standby whilst under the Schipol
TMA. We were given a dispensation to carry PLB's rather than ELT's when
crossing into the NL FIR, but we also heard before we went that other
individual aircraft from UK had crossed into NL FIR without ELT and without
any problems.

After leaving Lelystad, most of us went on to Norway via Viborg in Denmark,
and I would like to recommend that grass airfield as being exceptionally
helpful and friendly. As I passed over the Borkum area on that leg, someone
called me (on the Bremen Info frequency) also a Europa, and I think
identifying himself as (what was) G-KITS. If you watch this forum, I am
sorry that I did not chat, but I did see you some 2000' below me, flying
east along the Friesian islands; my route took me overhead Heligoland.

Best wishes,

David