Europa-List: Re: Windshield care

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Windshield care
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 09:33:35

In a message dated 5/1/2009 3:02:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

Forgive  me for saying this, but "certain polishes like Pledge" doesn't
negatively  support pledge, in my book. I will personally not hesitate
to....

Hello Greg

Quite frankly, I could not care less what you use on your  plexiglass. It
is really none of my concern. I urged caution when using  wood furniture
polish on plexiglass. I suggested testing any product intended  for use only on

wooden furniture on a scrap piece of plexi before  using it on an installed
plexiglass windshield. This  is only common sense. Nowhere in my post will
you find  any wording saying to use it or not to use it, nor will you find
anything "negatively supporting Pledge", whatever that means. If Pledge
works for you, great! Please, by all means, continue it's use to your  heart's

content.

However, everyone should be aware that wood furniture polish products,
like Pledge, contain other ingredients besides the wax in the product that  you

are after to protect your plexiglass. These other ingredients may or may
not  react with your plexiglass. The fouling ingredient could be a  binder, a
propellant, a solvent, anything besides the wax in the  furniture polish you
are after. Why risk exposing your glass to these other  ingredients when
it's the wax you are after?

It should also be noted that companies who make such  commercial products
for wooden furniture are subject to change  formulations with the ebb and
flow of suppliers. Different batches of  the same product may or may not
include exactly the same  ingredients. I doubt the manufacturers of these
products

are  taking into consideration that folks like you are using their product
on  anything but wooden furniture for anything but polishing wooden
furniture. I also think you would be hard pressed to find anyone  manufacturing

plexiglass who recommends the use of wood furniture polish of  any kind on any

plexiglass product. If you like using Pledge  on your glass, though, please
be my guest.  It is, after  all, your windshield and it is you who will
spend the hours replacing it  should it become frosted.

The purpose of my posting was to offer the group insight into how a
professional sailplane repair shop performs routine maintenance on  sailplane
canopies. As such, I hope that someone in our group found this  information
useful, even if you did not.

Regards,

John  Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)