Europa-List: bonding top wing panel

Subject: Europa-List: bonding top wing panel
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:04:53

All,

For the usual reasons, I've left my wings open until now. This post is
to acknowledge and thank whomever it was who thought up the notion of
clear taping the underside of the top wing panel, laying down the
blobs of Redux/flox on the ribs, and trial fitting in order to ensure
full contact between panel, ribs, and trailing edge closeouts when
final bonding is done.

I followed the drill with the packing tape on the aileron and the stir
sticks on the flap and used 2 x 2 x 1/4" steel angle for straight
edges weighted w/ bricks to ensure that the top panel was straight and
true.

After enduring that moment of sheer panic as the top panel needed some
coaxing to pop off, I was amazed at the depth of Redux required to
take up the space/tolerance between panel and ribs and the amount
which will be required in order to ensure full contact, even when the
Redux thins down to zip at the flap closeout and forward flange.

Thanks to you, when I get this bird in the air, I will fly with an
extra measure of confidence in my build.

Fred
A194

PS:   ...and thanks for the insights into the issue I raised the other
day about the trim damper!

--
believed to be clean.