Re: Europa-List: ELT and Mode S in NL

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ELT and Mode S in NL
From: Jan de Jong <jandejong@casema.nl>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:23:14

It is actually worse than Frans said. The publication is:
http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/aim/misc/EH-eSUP-09-04-en-GB.pdf

Something like this:
1. Mode S is mandatory if you want to fly above 1200', so we all got it
installed
2. if you have a Mode S transponder installed you must have it on
3. can't have the transponder on under the Schiphol TMA (the part with
1500' bottom) because ATC gets confused
4. therefore you can't fly VFR there

Two years ago we could all just put our transponder on standby when
flying under Schiphol TMA (this is again the prescribed solution around
EHHV and EHLE).
Now we have mandatory mode S and in this new world the standby option
was somehow disregarded.

The ruling caused uproar and then meetings and discussion and a updated
publication is expected by the end of this week.
We will see.

Regards,
Jan de Jong