Re: Europa-List: wing walk re-inforcement

Subject: Re: Europa-List: wing walk re-inforcement
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 21:29:07
Bill,
Yes, but not as far aft as you suggest.  It is my opinion that the ribs
aft of the spar on the XS and MG along the walkway are sufficient to
prevent flexing and cracking of the filler.  My main concern was for
that area from the main spar forward where there is a gap between the
root rib and the next rib going outboard of some 16 inches.  This area
was never intended as a walkway, but is often used for such.  Due to
flexing of that area from pilots (me included) entering the aircraft
---From the front causes the skin to sag under our "load" and cause cracks
in the filler.  The extra thick filler (nearly an 1/8 inch) in this area
is from the wing root fillet junction.

Since the fillet requires a significant area of fill, why not put two
layers of glass bid over the filler from the leading edge, out to the
1st rib (tapered for easy fill) and aft to a point just aft of the spar
line, then refill.  This would make a heavy, but stiff skin area which
would help spread the load on the skin area without contributing to
significant stress riser complications when the wing flexes under flight
loads.  Think of it as added pilot butt support.  I've done it on
aircraft where the fillet didn't fit well and back filled the inside of
the fillet to keep flexing and cracking down at the fillet spar
junction.  It seemed to help...I don't use flox to fill, because of the
weight anymore... You can add a kilo in a heartbeat.

The intentions of the company are to add more ribs to the leading edge
in question, but that is a change in design and we all know how long the

bureaucrats will take on that one.

Bud Yerly
Citizen of the World...
Custom Flight Creations