RE: Europa-List: Total energy probe install

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Total energy probe install
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:02:56
Hi Ron,

We installed a Borgelt vario with a TE probe about a year ago, near the
top of the fin.  When building the plane (7-8 years ago) we left some
PVC pipe installed in the fin to act as conduit for the probe tubing run
to the cockpit, which allowed us to mount the probe later on by simply
drilling a hole in the fin leading edge.  We mounted the probe to a
piece of sheet aluminum and screwed that to two anchor nuts inside the
fin.  The aluminum mount was bent to the shape of the fin leading edge.
We have the probe base pointing straight forward (approximately level
with the port sill) with the bent part of the probe pointing downward.
The probe seems to work fine at this location.
I hope this helps, I don't have pictures at this time.

regards,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD