Re: Europa-List: transponder antenna wiring

Subject: Re: Europa-List: transponder antenna wiring
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:13:21

Fred Klein wrote:

> Thanks Frans...and who makes such a transponder?

Have a look at
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/garrechttransponder.php

They are somewhat more costly than "standard" transponders, but if mode
S becomes mandatory (like it is in Europe already in many countries) it
saves you from buying a transponder twice. I believe it is just a matter
of time before it becomes mandatory in the US as well.
The good thing is that mode-S can be linked to the GPS, enabling TCAS
for General Aviation.

For my 914 powered ship an additional advantage is that the most heavy
part of the transponder can be mounted aft, and only a very light weight
control unit has to be mounted in the instrument panel.

Anyway, I hate the costs, but as I said, in the Netherlands we have no
other choise than mode-S, unless one wants to limit himself to a maximum
of 1200 feet, and stay entirely out of controlled airspaces.

--
Frans Veldman