Europa-List: Re: Flap position, Flight testing

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Flap position, Flight testing
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 18:31:21

Hi all,

If you see the flaps and ailerons are level in the wing when the stick is
neutral and the flaps are level too, then there is no need for more
precise control surface measurements.

You probably glassed in an asymmetry, but no big deal.

I'd start with a 3 x 5"  0.030 or so sheet of aluminum glued with
silastic to the rudder for a ground settable trim tab.  You might even
need one on an aileron too.  Remember trim tabs will only be
perfectly balanced at a single speed, so I would flight test the tabs
and adjust for middle cruise.

You pay a tiny price in trim drag, but it is much better than reseting
the incidence and sweep of the wings, then balancing their weight.

Best of luck,

Ira

PS:  I thought ahead to put in electric aileron trim, but after a couple
hundred hours, I wish I had thought of electric rudder trim too!

--------
Ira N224XS

Read this topic online here: