Re: Europa-List: Master Brake Cylinder

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Master Brake Cylinder
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 18:51:28
Mike,
Go to www.jamarperformance.com<http://www.jamarperformance.com/> out of
California.  They have all the prices, new seals, etc.  I cleaned mine
first and reassembled.  On one brake I did find a burr, but not anymore.
 Just sand it out I do not care to use hydraulic fluid which should
require buna seals.  Check with Jamar.  I prefer Dot 5 (silicone) as any
leaks do not create a mess on the interior or exterior and there is no
problem with seal compatibility.  The problem is that it is tougher to
bleed because the bubbles don't move by fluid movement easily.

Technique on bleeding (once you get your new seals):  Get a syringe
which holds about 4 oz of fluid.  Any type of pressure container will
do, as long as it will not inject air into the fluid when compressing.
Put a 1/8 - 3/16 hose (I use urethane) on it and attach to the brake
caliper.  Open the valve and push the fluid up.  Mild pressure of a
couple psi is all it takes.  You have to have good fittings on your
syringe because the fluid is slick and if the hose pops off it will go
everywhere.  Rotate the brake master on its side and rock it so the
cross hole will allow air to go into the reservoir chamber and up to the
reservoir.  It's 30 minutes for the first one and 3 for the second side.
 I always make my brake master the highest point in the pressure side to
eliminate air bubble chasing.  The reservoir needs to be about 3-6
inches above the masters.

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations
Europa Dealer.