Europa-List: AAE Antennas

Subject: Europa-List: AAE Antennas
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:06:32

In a message dated 1/23/2009 3:13:54 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

I have  installed all three but prefer the carbon fiber Advanced Aircraft
Electronics (AAE) antenna types because they are "no  brainers".

Hey Bud,

I will second that! I have both an AAE Com and an AAE transponder antenna  on
N245E and I couldn't be more pleased with them. (and I'm a picky RF  engineer
by trade). I've swept the Com antenna alone across the band and  the SWR
remains flat at about 1.38 to 1 end to end. I also swept the  transponder
antenna

at 1090 Mhz and it shows excellent SWR characteristics, too.  The AAE folks
were outstanding to deal with. I originally purchased the Com  antenna with a 90

degree BNC connector take off.  I decided six  months after I purchased my
Com antenna that I really needed a straight  BNC take off for proper cable
routing. So, I contacted them and they  swapped the antenna at no charge and
even

paid the return shipping!

My AAE Com is mounted on the aft side of the tail post. I made a 1" square
hole in the center of tail post for the  antennas connector/splitter assembly
to pass through the tail post,  then attached the elements of the antenna to
the rear of the tail  post with silicone after scuffing the tail post a bit to

enhance adhesion.  The coax feed routes through the center of the bottom rib of

the vertical  fin through a small, grommeted hole and forward into the
fuselage. Both transmission and reception are excellent using this antenna
coupled

to a Garmin 250X GPS/Com.

Regards,

John  Lawton