Re: Europa-List: Has anyone landed 914 on pump #1 run by generator only?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Has anyone landed 914 on pump #1 run by generator only?
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:40:40

Hi Ron,

My pumps are wired as per the Europa drawings.  As I recall it has one
of the connected to the output of the regulator... I need to check
again for the exact details.

Anyhow, getting back to your question, yes, when I took a lightning
hit the main contractor dropped offline and all of my electrics with
it.

I did not turn on my E-Buss straight away, I spent a good deal of time
deciding how damaged the aircraft was, from a structural and flight
control perspective. Only after this did I turn on my E-Buss, so up
until then I was running off one fuel pump which was powered directly
---From the output of the regulator.

So, I guess this is a long winded way of saying from a redundancy
perspective the system worked as designed.

I did see a number of postings from you on the AeroElectric forum, my
only recommendation I can make to you is to keep it simple.  I have a
single battery dual electrical buss in my airplane.  Never in my
imaginings did I consider if the design was robust enough to take the
punishment that was handed out that day, but it was.

Regards,  Paul