Re: Europa-List: Instrument rating

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Instrument rating
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:09:18

Hi Steve,

The equipment requirements for instrument flight are described in the
FAR's.  Interestingly enough, once you have met the requirements of
clocks, gyro based instruments and so on, you don't actually have to
have much.  You need only to have the equipment required to fly the
published approached, so for example if your field has a VOR A
approach you only need one VOR.

I am not sure if it is still the case, but assuming you stay out of
Class B airspace in theory you don't even need a transponder, you
would have to fly the victor airways, use the mandatory reporting
points ect.  In practical terms I can't imagine how ATC would react to
this, other that to tell you to nick off.

I can say that I was flying out west one time and ATC had there radar
coverage go down, so I got routed from "Direct" to the Victor Airways.
 I hadn't done it from my training days and I have done it since.
(thankfully)

With all that said, the above scenario with the equipment level I have
described above is hardly practical, but the FAR's will help you to
determine if the equipment level in an aircraft meets the requirements
for IFR flight

Paul