Re: Europa-List: Nice gear lock switch

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Nice gear lock switch
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:04:35

Hi Kingsley

I have a spring on latch and things are set where you can not actuate switch
with
latch hung up. I realize this is a new build and things can change. I don't
think things will change, but will keep an eye on and if I ever see latch not
locked and switch actuated will fiddle to make happen again.

If you did not do so, install a spring. I could not achieve what I considered
reliable
results using gravity to allow latch t fall into place. For one thing,
unless surface where upstop contacts lever is polished, it can drag and hang
up. Also if you push hard enough, the slight clearance allowed thing to twist
and slight jam in up position.

If you notice I am using a NAS bolt for pivot (dished cut on head). AN hardware
is undersized, NAS is much closer to bolt size, thus better fit. Side note, NAS
fit is much better for undercarriage mounting frame to CPM.

Downlatch spring works great:

http://www.europaowners.org/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album215&id=IM003062&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I purchased a pressure switch from Europa, same as stall warner switch will put
in down and latched circuit. Will set where it triggers at ~70 knots to liven
up circuit.

Thinking in addition to LEDs, will put a cell phone style mini motor in stick
with
offset weight to shake stick if you are under 70 knots and gear is not down.

In future when I get glider wings installed, will need to put one more switch on
the airbrake lever. With airbrake closed, circuit will be dead, only when you
open airbrake will circuit come alive. You want gear up when below 70knots when
soaring.

Ron Parigoris

Visit -  www.EuropaOwners.org