Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Mod 72 - Undercarriage

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Mod 72 - Undercarriage
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:29:05

Rob,

Unfortunately the factory failed to mention that the reamer supplied (as with
 most reamers) is tapered at the end, whereas the supplied inserts are not.
 The tapered portion of the reamer is about 1 inch long, the rest being the
 correct dimension.

This means that no matter how big a hammer you use, the F****ing things will
 never go all the way in.

The easy solution which will only work if you do it before jamming the insert
 in the tube is to file down the end of the taper so that it fits all the way
 - you will need a lathe or drill to do this.

I didnt bother pre priming the inserts or tube, simply coated everything with
 red lead primer before assembly and hammered the inserts into place. Once
 the primer sets there is no way anything will ever come apart.

If you have a situation where the inserts are jammed halfway into the tube,
 your only option is to saw off the protruding end (of the insert), as I
 believe many builders have done. The inserts are of such a length that they
 go all the way up to the bolts which attach the frame to the fuselage. As
 long as there is no more than about an inch protruding from the end the
 inserts will be doing their job and sawing off the excess should not weaken
 the finished job.

As a disclaimer I guess I should say clear this with your inspector or the
 Europa folks first (before reaching for the hacksaw)

Good luck,

Carl Pattinson

PS: Hopefully all that pounding hasnt damaged the fuselage surrounding the
 frame or the alloy plates bonded into the structure. Ideally there should be
 somebody holding a large lump of steel (EG: a big hammer - American or
 otherwise !!!) at the other end of the tube (within the frame) that you are
 hammering on. This should speed up the insertion process and minimise any
 damage to the surrounding structures. You may need a midget with long arms
 to hold the hammer.