RE: Europa-List: Mod 72 - Undercarriage mounting frame strengthening

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mod 72 - Undercarriage mounting frame strengthening
From: Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:46:33

Rob,

I can really feel with you, having just completed MOD 73. The manual
falls short to say that you ought NOT to insert the tail planes so deep
into the torque tube that the two retaining pins would contact or even
insert into the bushings fitted to the tailplane root.

I was lucky on the first one which refused to insert because the layup
is performed on the opposite side. It was EASY to crack the torque tube
to retaining layup by TWISTING the tailplane against the torque tube.
Came right off no problem. I was not worried either as the inner tube
was greased.

What compelled me with my second tailplane to push it that far in to
allow the pins to insert I don't know as I should have used my head, not
the description in the MOD manual. Next morning wanting to separate the
tailplane from the torque tube turned out to take several hours. Yes, I
admit I showed up with a hammer, pry bars etc, but after initially
starting to damage a bit of the root layup by prying I decided not to
proceed. Instead I disassembled the entire torque tube which had been
there for years and took all out. Took me 2 hours. From there it was
easy as the pin retaining welded part could be removed and the tailplane
cracked loose by a twist.

In hind sight I am glad I did not use the hammer. This can be extremely
damaging to internal parts in the tailplane like hair cracks. My
recommendation is to just insert the torque tube sufficiently into the
inner tube at time of layup so that pins stay out of the way. This
should be added to the current MOD 73 instructions.

Best,

Christoph Both

@223

Wolfville, Nova Scotia Canada