Europa-List: Filling Tips

Subject: Europa-List: Filling Tips
From: Martin Tuck <MJKTuck@cs.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 20:47:27

Hi Folks,

Reading all the recent advice on filling the flying surfaces I wanted to
mention a method I used which seems to have been overlooked. It saves
having to 'slap on' filler only to sand it back off again and provides a
nice even thickness with which to start the sanding.

The method is to use a pair of fishing lines (I think I used 100 lb
breaking strain but it was about 0.020" dia.). Use weights at either end
to drap them over the surface and space them about 10 inches apart like
a couple of tram lines. Slap on the filler (and if it turns out shiny
you need more filler in the mix) between the tramlines and then using a
wide spackle knife or straight edge run it along the tram lines to
spread the filler. You should end up with a 0.020' thickness of filler.
Lift up one line and place it 10 inches from the other and continue the
process all the way down the surface being filled.

Now when you lift up the lines you will be left with a line of no filler
when the fishing line was but a quick run over with the spackle knife
you can force just enough down to fill the gap.

For sanding, I started with 60 grit and worked my way down to 100 then 160.

Avoid adding more filler on top of previously cured filler as you will
make it difficult to get an even surface presumably because of
variations in hardness of the filler mix.

Brings back happy memories! :-)

Martin Tuck
Europa N152MT
Wichita, Kansas