Re: Europa-List: wing drop

Subject: Re: Europa-List: wing drop
From: David Buckley <wooburnaviation@googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 00:57:51
Fergus, whilst I agree with what you say, with the wing drop we are talking
about the incipient stage of a spin, ie: before it has fully developed - in
the fully developed spin  I agree wholeheartedly the rotation must be
stopped with rudder  before unstalling the main plane.

At the incipeint stage the amount of yaw  may be negligable. Rapidly moving
the stick forward reduces the angle of attack  and the aircraft is now
flying again at which point aelieron can be used to roll level, and full
power applied to climb away. This was the method I was taught on my
instructor course, and was reconfirmed on a recent standardisation course,
with an RAF instructor instructor.

The rationale being that this is the quickest way to return to a safe flight
condition near to the ground.  The inadvertent entry into the incipent stage
of a spin being most likely on the turn from base to final in the circuit (
pattern)  We have found a real risk of students "picking up" a dropped wing
with rudder entering a spin in the opposite direction

BTW, a wing does not necesarily have to be "speeded up" to recover, mearly
unloading it will have the same effect.
For exaple a CAP 10 I fly aero's in has a wing level, unaccelerated stall
speed of 55 Kts.  I can have that wing still flying at 30 kts ( at the top
of a loop for example at about 1/2 a G.
Equally I can stall it at 120 kts pulling out too sharply at the bottom at
2.5 - 3 G

Finally, whilst this discussion is healthy, I'm sure you will agree that
reading about it is no substitute for a session with an instructor or coach
in an aircraft.

Dave
.