RE: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?Mono or Tri-Gear,

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mono or Tri-Gear, what to choose?Mono or Tri-Gear,
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:06:56
Hi! William/all
I must concur with your statement, I can't keep my nose out any longer !
I built G-PTAG as a convertible since folks advised that to learn I
would need the "TRAINER Wheel" in the first instance and after 600
hours+ I am content to leave it in that configuration. Although anyone
who would prefer the mono rig will have it all available when the a/c is
up for sale. I have just flown all over Europe alongside and  behind
Ivor Phillips' G-IVER and at distance you don't see the legs in the
flight profile. At Mariehamn (Finland) we were confronted with 90 deg
cross winds gusting 25-28kts with tree rotor effect making me wonder why
I was there until I realized Ivor was behind in his new ship on
comparatively low hours. We both handled it OK because the trike has
differential braking to assist the rudder with direction control. On
departure from the same airfield I heard the tower call gusting 35 kts.
This is not a boast just facts towards the debate. I have witnessed too
many mono ground loops for me to ever consider myself competent on mono
wheels, why risk your hard earned savings ?
No offence to the many happy and very competent mono fliers.
Regards
Bob Harrison. G-PTAG