Europa-List: control bearing installation

Subject: Europa-List: control bearing installation
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 21:37:35

I am nearly ready to install the SRBF (Tufnol) bearings for the main
roll torque tubes.

For the forward bearing CS04, the words on page 13-6 and the exploded
fastener diagram on page 13-12 do not show a washer between the bolt
head and the Tufnol. Only the large washer on the glass-fibre side of
the assembly is mentioned. But the assembled bolt shown in the other
hole of CS04 does appear to have a washer under its head.

However, the words on page 13-6 and the diagram on page 13-13 for the
aft bearing CS06 both show AN960-10L washers between the nuts and the
Tufnol.

Fitting the washers on the forward bearing fasteners would make the
installation consistent with that for the aft bearings. Does anyone
think I'd be wrong to fit the AN960-10L washers under the front
bearing bolt heads, or is there a good reason for them to be omitted?

BTW, my inventory shows that if I don't fit them, I actually have 4
washers surplus in the fuselage kit; if I do fit them I am 4 short!

regards

Rowland