Re: Europa-List: Coolant Temps.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Coolant Temps.
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 09:53:38
Karl,

Sounds to me like the duct sealing may have been compromised.
Another culprit can be the hose running from the top expansion tank to
the radiator.  Sometimes that bend gets pinched a little.

I don't know what engine you have, but my experience here in Florida
with the XS cowl and Rotax engines follows:

1.  Lower the oil cooler as far down as you can get it.  Typically 1.5
inches is easily attained.  That lowers oil temps nearly 15 degrees.

2.  Make sure the cowl seal rubber is doing its job to include around
the top front of the duct.  Any high pressure air getting from the lower
duct into the cowl cuts cooling.  The engine is partially air cooled
also.

3.  Seal the gaps on the side and below the oil cooler.  The duct works
best when entering air stacks up and slows down in front of the coolers
so as to get efficient heat transfer.  I bend a piece of stainless which
I attach to the oil cooler bottom and bend it to make a nice tight seal
underneath also.  When taxiing, that really makes a difference.  I also
continue the seal back to the cowl exit.

Other techniques:

4.  For info only, I run 70/30 Dexcool which doesn't boil until 276F vs.
265F for 50/50.

5.  Taxi with coarse pitch to get more air in the duct.

If you have a mono, I do a number of other mods too numerous to email
about.

Bud
Custom Flight Creations