Europa-List: CBs & lightning

Subject: Europa-List: CBs & lightning
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:29:27

FWIW:
        Many years ago, a wise old owl (now with the angels) said he had
many lightning strikes while delivering heavies over the Indian and Pacific
oceans, some of which caused mayhem and some of which were nominal. In EVERY
case he was within 25 miles of a thunderstorm - CB .
        He eventually clicked and refused vehemently (Air Traffic
instructions or no) to come within 25 miles (on the radar by then) - and
never had another. His limit (and then mine) is 25 miles clear of a
thunderstorm below freezing level and 40 miles above that because of jet
wind dispersal of hail from anvil tops. I spent many an hour guessing at
distances when I had airborne radar to play with since I knew one day I'd go
without. We don't need to fuss too much here over in winter as CBs don't
convene and FZ of 18k is mostly above our need - but summertime my minimum
goes to 25 miles no matter what the challenge.
        JMF - just my feelings.
Ferg
A064