Re: Europa-List: Re: Off Topic - Situational Awareness ???

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Off Topic - Situational Awareness ???
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 14:38:55
Ira, et. al.

Yes, I had a serious discussion with the gent who does the dispatching
at MarcAir, he was a USAF air traffic controller for 20 years then
manned a tower and FSS for the FAA till it was privatized.  "Position
And Hold" is a clearance issued by a tower controller and not allowed
at any other time, period (no, EXCLAMATION POINT).  It is considered a
runway incursion when announced by someone in an aircraft on the
taxiway.  Unfortunately, it has become "THE" thing to do at 52F (and
apparently seems to be catching on elsewhere) and is causing no end of
difficulties as these bozos seem to think it is a really neat thing to
do in front of someone on final.  My guess is there will have to be
some reporting to the FAA (boy do we other pilots hate to have to do
that!) to get it cleared up.  The folks at MarcAir are trying to pass
the word around that it is a bad thing, but it remains to be seen if
it will get through those very few but very problematic, very thick,
very numb, very dense skulls that pull that crap.

I'll get those pics posted later this evening and will announce to all
when it has happened and where they are located.

Fly safe, please,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
(95% done, only 95% to go) tail kit done, wings closed, cockpit module
installed, pitch system in, landing gear complete, rudder system in
with Singleton Mod, outrigger mod in, Fuselage Top on, lift/drag/flap
pins in, wing incidence set, tie bar in, flap drive in,  baggage bay
in. Fuel system complete.  Rotax and Airmaster installed.  Mods 62,
66, 70 & 72 done.  Completed the instrument panel install.   Europa
interior kit being installed.  Installed windows.  Working in -  25
Electrical, 28 Flaps, 30 Fuel System, 32 Tail, 34 Door Latches & 35
Doors, 37 Finishing.   Mostly finishing these days.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123
Cel:  817-992-1117