Re: Europa-List: Completed monowheel airframe for sale (JR Gowing)

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Completed monowheel airframe for sale (JR Gowing)
From: Gerry Cole <gccole13@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 22:53:11

Hi Bob,
    You are a couple of years older than me and have broken what I thought was
the longest
build-time record.

    The Lyndhurst fuel level indicator is now part of Europa's mod 60 Kit for
fitting
to the
Europa fuel tank. It is supplied by Lyndhurst - Touchdown - Services Ltd
(www.avnet.co.uk/touchdown) to the precise length specified by the buyer. I
bought mine  from
Touchdown before mod 60 appeared.
    The sensor is a sealed stainless steel tube housing 8 reed switches. These
are activated by
an external magnetic ring float. My mod 10710 has this sensor assembly housed in
precision-made fibreglass tube, flanged at the top and sealed at the bottom with
an embedded
boss holding a 90 deg inlet pipe fitting. A thick machined aluminium ring at the
top carries the
outlet pipe fitting. The unit is inserted in to the left hand vent line and is
mounted on a
substantial bracket reduxed to the forward baggage bay bulkhead just behind the
fuel tank (  the
mod 74 lift-pin crosstube passes between my unit and the bulkhead with a small
clearance).  It
took two attempts and a complex jig to get the fibre glass tube right and then
six months to
clear the mod with our PFA (now LAA). I also had to do the pressure test
specified
in JAR-VLA
965 - equivalent to an eleven foot head of fuel. The main advantage is, being
translucent,
it is
possible to see the fuel level  in the tube in your pre-flight ckecks and you
have
a proper
contents indicator on the panel.
    If you would like more detail (and several week's work!), please contact me
off list and I
will be pleased to help.

Sincerely
Gerry Cole, kit 121