Europa-List: Re: Door Hinges

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Door Hinges
From: Dave Moore <mooredca@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 07:24:15
Fred,

Yes, some folk have deepened the recesses for the door hinge tangs.  I
cannot comment on the impact of doing that on the overall integrity of
the structure, but it can make installing a ceiling panel more
complicated, i.e. the deepened recesses may prevent a flat ceiling panel
sitting flush on the door rebates.

Cliff Shaw came up with a practical solution.  Shorten the door tangs
just enough for the doors to open fully.  Then lay-up 2-3 layers of BID
in the top of the recesses, flush with the roof line. (Make temporary
blue foam inserts so that you can form flox corners under the BID).
Adjust the width of BID in-fill to get a neat gap between the end of the
tangs and the edge of the BID in-fills, say 2-3 mm (7/64th inch).

There are photographs on the late Mr Shaw's album in the EuropaOwners
website.  If you struggle to find them, I'll dig them out for you.

Regards,

Dave

Dave Moore
Monowheel 550