RE: Europa-List: Motor glider first flight

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Motor glider first flight
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:55:00

 Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the confusion, I should have mentioned that the sink numbers
were with the engine at idle, with an Airmaster prop.  The sink rate can
be expected to be better with the engine off and prop feathered, which
we haven't had the opportunity to do yet.  Our Europa motorglider has
noticeably greater sink at engine idle than the Katana Extreme we
trained on last fall.  The Katana has a 914 with a two bladed prop, ours
is a 912S with three bladed prop.  It may be the three bladed prop that
makes the biggest difference between the two planes (although the higher
compression 912S may also contribute to the difference).  When we
changed over from the two bladed Whirlwind to the three bladed
Airmaster, the only noticeable change in performance between the two was
the braking effect at engine idle, with the Airmaster providing greater
braking.

We will get some engine off/prop feathered data as soon as we get a
weekend with suitable weather.

Regards,
Terry