Re: Europa-List: Motor glider first flight

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Motor glider first flight
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:58:32
Terry and Dave,
Congratulations.

In my flight testing of the glider wing you have about the right numbers
on sink.  The sink rate is affected by CG location, aircraft weight,
prop, etc.  It really varies plane to plane.

The two tri gear I've helped finished can't get below 60 KIAS without
starting a high sink rate, but they were nose heavy and fat aircraft
(58.5 to 59 inch empty CG and 1050 lbs).

The airbrakes do cause a decided nose down pitch moment and when
deployed above about 85 KIAS they tend to vibrate.
Honestly, the Europa Motorglider is an airplane with soaring capability
rather than a glider.

In checking out others, I emphasize use of the airbrakes early, and when
approaching the flare lock them closed to prevent a possible nose down
pitch close to the ground and insufficient altitude to correct.  I have
no experience with the mono motorglider, but the tri gear bleeds off
airspeed even with an Airmaster prop at a 1800 rpm idle.  Crossing the
threshold above 70 KIAS is good for a long float though.

The ailerons are a bit heavy and the slightest roll, easily corrected at
low speed, requires more pressure to counter than I care to hold at
higher speed.   I will never have a set of glider wings built in this
shop without aileron trim.  I have adjusted the airbrakes to try to help
a heavy wing but aileron trim is best.  Assuming the ball is centered of
course.

Without a trim tab, I used the glider technique of adding a shim of
filler under the elevator which re-contoured the lower surface.  I added
a 1/16 inch high by 1 inch wedge of filler to the lower surface trailing
edge of the aileron needing to be raised, then flew, sanded the wedge of
filler down a little and flew again and repeated until it balanced well.
 I then painted it and you can't even tell I contoured the surface, and
it flew really square...

I hope others with more experience can pipe up and give us all a little
more insight.

Again,
Congrats

Bud Yerly