RE: Europa-List: Re: Finger Strainers

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Finger Strainers
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:51:46

Hi! Phil /Jos
Didn't see Phils original message however a piece of additional info of
my experience with the gauze type finger strainer was twofold.
a) the gauze actually traps any cloth fibres /long hairs and they dangle
inside the strainer (LIKE IN A WASH BASIN OR Bath Plug hole)
In my case simultaneously the trapped fibres suddenly plugged the exit
holes in both the main tank and reserve.
b) however my situation also highlighted another deficiency in that the
hole drilled in the bottom of the strainers was insufficiently deep to
provide a full intersection  orifice with the continuing exit pipe of
the connector.
The aforementioned plug once sucked in just stopped all flow. What's
more back blowing of the fuel doesn't rid you of the plug it merely puts
the plug loose in the tubular gauze to do you a repeat first time you
put full power on.
IF you have the connector standing on the outflow pipe and tilted over
off vertical you can drill out the intersection
Regards
Bob Harrison.