RE: Europa-List: heat treating

Subject: RE: Europa-List: heat treating
From: Rob Housman <rob@hyperionef.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:00:57

Download this file
http://tabletopmachinewiki.com/w/images/NMR_Handbook_Chapter15.pdf   Start
on page 15-20 to find out what the basic procedure is for alloy steel, and
then go to Table 15-4 on page 15-24 for the HT temperature.  Once you look
at the table you'll probably stop right there unless you have a furnace
suitable for reaching the required temperature.  You can't do this in your
kitchen.  Be sure to note the discussion on page 15-21 in the paragraph
immediately above the section titled "Tempering" regarding the importance of
controlling both time and temperature.

Unless you are experienced at heat treatment (and I suspect that if you were
you would not be asking how to do it) you will be much better off finding a
local heat treat shop to do the job for you.  In SoCal we can get one small
part heat treated for less than US$100.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
Irvine, CA