Re: Europa-List: Epoxy Measuring - Balances vs Digital Scale vs Ratio

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Epoxy Measuring - Balances vs Digital Scale vs Ratio
From: Keith Hickling <keithhickling@clear.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:17:58
Pump

Ira wrote:
A scale that gives you 0.5% is way better than necessary since 5% is
probably just fine.

Favid Miller wrote:
 the Aeropoxy reps at Oshkosh, they were  clearly amused by anyone bothering
to measure to the nearest tenth of a gram -  off the record  they indicated
that the tolerance levels for a proper cure are quite high.

I don't know who is correct, but Martin Armstrong, technical director of SP
Systems (Ampreg) told me, as stated in the data sheets, that 2% is the
maximum permissable error in mixing resin and hardener - any greater error
results in measurable and significant reductions in strength. He was very
concerned that some people get a bit "gung ho" about it. And 2% is only 0.1
gram of hardener in a 5g / 20 g  mix. And a similar error in the opposite
direction neasuring the resin would result in a 4% total error.

Keith Hickling,
New Zealand.