Europa-List: Re: Engine Bay wiring

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Engine Bay wiring
From: D Wysong <hdwysong@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:47:04

> Ferg, why y'all usin' #22 wire in a vibrating environment?  Without
> special care
> in terminating the wires, they can eventually fracture.  I don't think
> I've
> seen a production A/C with #22.  They use #20 for small currents, no
> matter how
> small.

Ferg almost burns his house down by cooking wire in a toaster oven and you
want him to start worrying about wire gauge!?  ;-)

Seriously, a long glance behind any modern panel (especially those with
glass) will reveal a host of 22 AWG wires or smaller.  There is absolutely
no written/unwritten rule about using a minimum of 20 AWG.

The panacea here is good workmanship (e.g. - proper strain relief, proper
support at regular intervals, proper service loops, etc.), NOT bigger
wires.  Proper workmanship also includes selecting wire rated for the
environment, so stick with the Tefzel, Ferg!

See chapter 11 of AC 43.13 for suggestions on the rest  (free PDF available
here:  *http://tinyurl.com/ynopgy).*