Europa-List: Re: GRT EIS

Subject: Europa-List: Re: GRT EIS
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 09:40:19
In a message dated 1/6/2008 2:58:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

1) Any  problems I should look out for. Any gotchas?

Hello Martin,

I've got a GRT EIS with graphical interface mated to my Jab 3300 in N245E.
I'm overall very pleased with the performance of the GRT EIS. It does
occasionally give false low readings on the tach which sets off the RPM  alarm,

though. Same thing on the EGT. It occasionally will give false  high alarms,
even

though it shows EGT's well within range. I have yet  to figure out why I'm
getting the false readings and GRT doesn't seem  to know, either. It hasn't
happened enough to spend a lot of time chasing it,  but it is annoying.

One thing I have noticed is you should check the integrity of the  crimps on
the fittings opposite the ring end. You might need to recrimp the  CHT leads
on the opposite end of the rings. I'd solder the fittings on both  ends, too.
Really, you should solder any and all crimped fittings to prevent  inadvertent

I recently replaced four of my GRT CHT sensors with new GRT  CHT sensors and
a couple of the old ones and all of the new ones had  poorly crimped fittings
installed. I didn't catch this with the old ones on  my initial installation.
The fittings opposite the ring  end basically came off in my hand with a
gentle tug. This causes a high  resistance coupling will lead to false readings.
recrimped the red end  using a "Sta-Con" tool, then soldered them on both
ends. Checking  them against a hand-held laser IR temp meter across the range
show

 they now read CHT spot on.

Hope it helps!

Regards,