Europa-List: mounting quick-connect bellcrank brackets into cockpit modu

Subject: Europa-List: mounting quick-connect bellcrank brackets into cockpit module
From: gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:25:21
Since this is a hot topic right now, here is my input for the
Europaprecision thread (my view only):

Although there are areas for improvement, I will never expect everything in
a kit as complex as this, to line up perfectly. Without getting into company
names, I have heard builders from other well known composite aircraft
manufacturers cuss profusely about the way some of their kit components
lined up. Even some items (like doors), that were supposedly pre-molded to
fit (and finished, direct from the factory), had to be completely overhauled
over many time-consuming hours before they did. I think that just goes with
the territory for our (stronger than aluminum) 'plastic' airplanes. Again,
just my 2 cents.

That being said, here is my current problem :

I may have a clearance issue, with the top of the bellcrank bracket
encroaching up to a quarter-inch into the sidewall of the fuselage.

When mounting the bellcrank brackets to the back of the cockpit module, the
manual states:

"Set CS14 to be vertical relative to the cockpit module; an eyeball
assessment will be sufficient in this

case. Ensure the spars are clear of the brackets."

Then (again, following the lead in the manual), I tightened a one-quarter
inch rod onto the bellcrank bracket with two nuts on either side. The end of
the rod went well into the wing spar (where I left it), effectively lining
up the bellcrank position. This still allows the bracket to spin in a
circle. I picked a vertical position for both, and bonded them in, then
later bonded the bolts into the bracket holes (and the 3mm plywood), to hold
the bellcrank. Too late now, to redo the quarter inch rod technique.

Upon later inspection, it seems that the outer topmost (with respect to the
aircraft) quarter inch or so, of the bracket, exceeds the fuselage shell
(using the cp module fuselage-connecting flanges as the reference point).
Now granted, it was a straight line look, and the fuselage is curved.  Even
so- it seems to me, that it will butt up against the fuselage, and probably
bend inboard slightly, affecting the aileron to cockpit bellcrank mating, by
putting more distance between the two.

I have not placed the module into the fuselage to check it yet, because the
fuselage top currently rests on the bottom part, and have not had a chance
to remove the two. Even so, I think it would be hard to see what's going on
down there, upon placing the module into it, since the mechanism is pretty
well hidden under the seat back.

It could be a non-issue, if the hole cut in the side of the fuselage to
accept the wing spar (wing root area, and molding), is big enough to
encompass the top of the bracket.

Has anyone run into this or had to correct for it, or any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Greg Fuchs