Europa-List: Europaprecision

Subject: Europa-List: Europaprecision
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:48:36

Hi Guys...and Happy New Year!

 From time to time in the course of building I am struck by the high
degree of precision built into our kits. While I salute the company for
its high quality precision parts, I'm finding that occasionally I
haven't done my part (at least the first time around) in ensuring that
the end result measures up to the standard required for the eventual
hours of trouble-free flying which so many of you (sigh) are already
enjoying.

For those of you who are still a'buildin' the monowheel and have yet to
assemble the main landing gear, here's a pitfall I stepped into which
is easily avoided...with just a tad of forethought:

When installing the bushes in the shock absorber bottom plate (now
that's a bit of heavy iron!) LG07, do NOT loctite them in until AFTER
you have ensured that you have smooth rotation on the pin LG04. I
failed to do this and found that my bushes were mis-aligned just enough
to cause the pin to bind...if left in this way, there's no doubt in my
mind that the bushes wouldn't be able to do their job and the result
would be wear in the holes for the pin in the swing arm LG02 and LG02A
which I fear would shortly introduce all kinds of slop.

As a consequence of my mistake, I have attempted to use heat to loosen
the loctite bond to no avail...even w/ a propane torch (while taking
care to not mar my nicely powdercoated LG07). Attempts to remove the
bushes are complicated by the soft nature of the bearings.

Sooooo....I've just received 2 new bushings from mcmaster-carr (P/N
6391K178) and my plan is to drill out the offending bushes and 'ave
another go.

This time I'll do a trial assembly of all the parts which the pin LG04
passes through before indulging w/ the loctite.

Old Pennsylvania Dutch saying: Why do I get so late smarter?

Fred
A194

--
believed to be clean.